What is rutting season? It’s when the elk lock horns in a powerful display of dominance to fight off weaker males, protect their pride, and demonstrate superiority to attract a more enticing female. (https://tinyurl.com/m337r5u6) Keep these tips in mind during the the Fall months for observing the elk in the area.
- Elk are wild animals which must be observed from a safe distance to avoid injury or death. If an animal is carefully watching you and appears “jumpy” when you move, you are too close.
- Keep pets secured on a leash and do not allow them to bark at, lunge at, or chase wildlife.
- Never block traffic. Move your vehicle to a safe place completely off the roadway to watch elk.
- Do not imitate an elk call, or bugle, when elk are irritable during the rut. This can endanger you and the elk.
- Elk know no boundaries, but people do. Respect private property when viewing wildlife