We welcome your photographic contributions to The Genescene. To help you get started here are the basics to submit photos:
What we do with your photos:
Staff decides what photos fit the need for a given issue. Sadly, not all photos can be printed. The budget for The Genescene is limited and photos take up quite a bit of space. When The Genescene arrives in your mailbox you will see what images were selected and you may find some images have been resized or cropped. Be aware that we print the photographer’s name in association with published pictures.
The deadline is 4pm on the 12th of the month prior to publication. For example, if you want to have a photograph considered for the March edition, it needs to be submitted electronically by 4pm on the 12th of February. Submissions well before the deadline are appreciated.
There are two ways to submit photos:
- Photos may be submitted from the Article Guidelines page when they photos are an integral part of an article.
- If the photos are “stand-alone” for general reader interest or as a possible cover photo, submit it from this Photo Guidelines page.
RULES FOR PHOTOS:
- By submitting a photo, you give your permission to the Genesee Foundation to use it in official publications, the Genesee website and in The Genescene.
- Do not submit copyrighted images, especially those from the Internet, unless they are specifically designated as public domain. Include the URL in the caption for Internet images.
- As the photographer, make sure the people in the image do not object to publication of the photograph. Also, if any are minors, it is your responsibility, not the editor’s, to make sure the parents do not object. Pictures with over eight recognizable people in it do not require a list of their names. However, if the photo has eight or fewer recognizable people, the names should be listed and will appear in the photo caption.
- Photos must have sufficient resolution for printing. Both the final size and pixels per inch (ppi) are important with. 300 ppi as is the minimum. For example, if the longest side of an image will be four inches on the printed page, then that dimension requires 1200 pixels. This becomes very important for an 8.5” x 11” cover photograph, which requires 2550 x 3300 pixels. A cropped picture enlarged to print as a cover will often not have enough pixels for a sharp image upon publication. If you are not sure about the size of your image, go to this website to have it measured: https://imageresize.org/
- Cover photographs must be in a vertical orientation.
- Submit your photos in the jpg format (compressed) because file sizes over 20MB can not be managed with our Internet software.
- Add any comments that would help the editors appropriately place your picture in the issue.
HOW DO I SUBMIT PHOTOS?
Use your browser to open The Genescene page of the Foundation website.
- Complete the Photo Submission form and drag your photo(s) into the designated location.
- Click on the “Submit” button.
- The system should display a message that the information was received successfully. If you don’t see that confirmation message, your article was not received. Please try again or contact the Foundation office for help.